Directorate of Agriculture
Agriculture Directorate has been actively working for the improvement of agricultural productivity in FATA. The directorate is headed by a director based in Peshawar while in each agency there is an Agency Agriculture Officer, assisted by an Agricultural Officer at tehsil level. The main function of the directorate includes the dissemination of recommended agricultural practices, training of farmers in improving agricultural production technology, reclamation and development of cultivable waste land, quality control and regulatory measures for agriculture input/output. The Agriculture Directorate has a key role in increasing economic activities in the region.
Strengths and Opportunities in the Sector
- Focus of agriculture extension services on key agricultural products with comparative advantage and value addition can lead to increased agricultural output.
- Focus of agriculture research on problem oriented research work leads to innovative agricultural products.
- Good marketing infrastructure can result in good economic returns to the farmers particularly on those horticultural crops which have shorter shelf lives.
- Adoption of water conservation and high efficiency irrigation systems can improve the existing water conveyance efficiency.
- Improved coordination among various relevant directorates leads to improved planning and management of precious natural resources.
- Opportunities exist in shifting from subsistence agriculture towards market-oriented agriculture, especially in areas with high value crops production.
Opportunity to access the international markets of central Asia and Afghanistan due to close geographical proximity.
- Support the shift from subsistence agriculture towards market oriented agriculture.
- Adopt pocket area approach where the government in collaboration with farmers defines certain areas, where one specific crop with a comparative advantage will be promoted.
- Reclamation of cultural wasteland for the benefit of poor families in the area.
- Increase the availability and efficiency of water in a sustainable way, in collaboration with irrigation and the water management sector.
- Increase the income of farmers through access to quality agriculture inputs, financial loans and markets for agricultural products.
- Institutional and human resource development of governmental and non-governmental service providers and existing farm service centers.
- Maximization of soil efficiency, minimization of farm inputs, improvement of quality of farm products and the minimization of post-harvest losses through introduction of environment friendly and adoptable research based technological packages.
- Improvement in the agriculture data collection, compilation and analysis.