Social Sector Department
The Social Sector Department is headed by a secretary, who looks after the provision of social welfare services in FATA.
Business of the Department
The Social Sector Department is responsible for the following matters relating to social welfare, women empowerment and Zakat and Usher:
a. Social Welfare
1. Child protection/welfare.
- Children protection through registration, monitoring, rapid response in crises, placement and after care.
- Promotion of non-formal justice and treatment of children in conflict with the law.
2. Special education and inclusive education, matters relating to the affairs of cadet colleges; including university education and specialized institutions in FATA.
3. Welfare and rehabilitation activities for disabled persons.
- Establishment of FATA Council for the rehabilitation of PWD.
- Provision of 2% quota in jobs to PWD.
4. Welfare and rehabilitation of marginalized/ vulnerable groups.
5. Social innovation.
6. Social/community development.
7. Community organization.
8. Social mobilization.
- Human resource development.
- Promotion of HRD activities other than the HR in the government sector.
9. Raising awareness.
10. Coordination with various local NGOs, line departments and donor agencies.
11. Registration, recognition, accreditation and registration of CDOs/CSOs.
12. Capacity building of NGOs through donor agencies and the Provincial Social Welfare Department.
13. Promotion of coordination among government, NGOs and the local community.
14. Assist the projects of NGOs.
15. Youth welfare, development and protection activities.
16. Establishment of FATA Council of Social Welfare for the promotion of the voluntary sector.
17. Implementation of social protection initiatives and programs.
18. Development, welfare and other support for minorities.
19. Rehabilitation of drug addicts etc.
20. Welfare program for senior citizens.
21. Other welfare activities.
- Provision of technical and financial assistance to the voluntary sector by raising local funds and utilizing donor’s resources for projects.
- Provision of grants-in-aid for the project/initiatives in private services sector.
22. Matters related to culture and information technology.
b. Women Empowerment
1. Adoption and implementation of national policies and plans.
2. Implementation of other national and international conventions and protocols.
3. Awareness on women rights.
4. Implementation of the UN Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) 1979.
5. Women protection/welfare programs.
6. Women development/skill programs for women/PPP Schemes/development of business enterprises with support of donor agencies.
7. Rehabilitation of marginalized women.
8. Legal (to the extent possible) and psychosocial support to needy women.
9. Promotion of women caucus for economic and social development at all levels in FATA.
10. Monitor agency offices of the Women Empowerment Wing.
11. Establishment of FATA council/commission in consonance with the government policy.
12. Establishment of MIS for the target population of women and services available to them in FATA.
13. Preparation of the department’s strategy and plan of action in FATA.
14. Monitoring the status of human rights and reporting the violation to the Law and Order Department FATA.
15. Promotion of social welfare services for helping patients and out-of-school children.
16. Promotion of non-formal education, religious education and vocational skills for the adult population.
c. Zakat and Ushr
1. Constitution of FATA Zakat Council and holding of quarterly meeting.
2. Constitution of agency/FRs and Local Zakat Committees (LZCs) in FATA.
3. Conducting of election/selection of agency/FRs Zakat Committees, and LZCs.
4. Accounting procedures for FATA Zakat Fund and Local Zakat Fund.
5. Operational arrangement for Local Zakat Fund.
6. Audit of FATA Zakat Fund and Local Zakat Fund.
7. Valuation and collection of Usher.
8. Implementation of the decision of the Central Zakat Council/FATA Zakat Council.
9. Formation of an Inspection Team for Local Zakat Committees.
10. Drafting of rules under Zakat and Ushr Ordinance 1980 and promulgation of other amendments.
11. Inspection of Deeni Madaris/institutions, which are beneficiaries of the Zakat Fund.
12. Reconstitution of Local Zakat Committees, removal of undesirable chairmen/members of zakat committees.
13. Constitution of Steering Committees for Usher affairs.
14. Collection of voluntary zakat.
- Sports Organizations in FATA
- Population Welfare
- Religious Affairs